Dr. Alexander Coad
|Senior Research Fellow|
Max Planck Institute of Economics,
Evolutionary Economics Group
Kahlaische Straße 10
This page is not maintained anymore since October 1st, 2010.
Martin Binder & Alex Coad, 2010. "An Examination of the Dynamics of Well-Being and Life Events using Vector Autoregressions." Journal of Economic Behavior and Organization, forthcoming. DOI:10.1016/j.jebo.2010.06.006
Alex Coad, 2010. "Exploring the processes of firm growth: Evidence from a vector autoregression", Industrial and Corporate Change, forthcoming. DOI:10.1093/icc/dtq018
Alex Coad, Rekha Rao and Federico Tamagni, 2008. "Growth processes of Italian manufacturing firms", Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, forthcoming. DOI:10.1016/j.strueco.2010.09.001
Bürger, Matthias, Tom Broekel, Alex Coad, 2009. "Regional Dynamics of Innovation Investigating the Co-Evolution of Patents, R&D, and Employment", Regional Studies, forthcoming. DOI:10.1007/s11205-010-9714-4
Martin Binder & Alex Coad, 2010. "Disentangling the circularity in Sen's capability approach – an analysis of the co-evolution of functioning achievement and resources." Social Indicators Research, forthcoming.
Alex Coad, 2010. "The exponential age distribution and the Pareto firm size distribution", Journal of Industry Competition and Trade, forthcoming. DOI: 10.1007/s10842-010-0071-4
Giulio Bottazzi, Alex Coad, Nadia Jacoby and Angelo Secchi, 2010. "Corporate Growth and Industrial Dynamics: Evidence from French Manufacturing", Applied Economics, forthcoming. DOI: 10.1080/00036840802400454
Alex Coad, 2010. "Neoclassical vs Evolutionary Theories of Financial Constraints: Critique and Prospectus", Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, 21 (3), 206-218.
Alex Coad (2010). Investigating the Exponential Age Distribution of Firms, Economics: The Open-Access, Open-Assessment E-Journal, Vol. 4, 2010-17
Download the pdf and give your evaluation
Alex Coad & Rekha Rao, 2010. "R&D and firm growth rate variance", Economics Bulletin 30(1), 702-708. (PDF)
Alex Coad & Rekha Rao, 2010. "Firm growth and R&D expenditure", Economics of Innovation and New Technology, 19 (2), March 2010, 127-145.
Alex Coad & Peter de Haan & Julia Sophie Woersdorfer, 2009. "Consumer support for environmental policies: An application to purchases of green cars", Ecological Economics, 68(7), 2078-2086.
Alex Coad & Werner Hölzl, 2009. "On the Autocorrelation of Growth Rates", Journal of Industry, Competition and Trade, Springer, vol. 9(2), 139-166. (PDF)
Alex Coad, 2009. "On the distribution of product price and quality", Journal of Evolutionary Economics' 19(4), 589-604. (PDF)
Coad, Alex, (2008) "Firm growth and scaling of growth rate variance in multiplant firms." Economics Bulletin 12 (9), 1-15. (PDF)
Alex Coad & Rekha Rao, 2008. "Innovation and firm growth in high-tech sectors: A quantile regression approach", Research Policy, 37 (4), 663-648
Alex Coad, 2007. "A Closer Look at Serial Growth Rate Correlation", Review of Industrial Organization, vol. 31, 69-82
Alex Coad, 2007. "Testing the principle of 'growth of the fitter' : The relationship between profits and firm growth", Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, vol. 18(3), 370-386.
Alex Coad & Rekha Rao, 2006. "Innovation and market value: a quantile regression analysis", Economics Bulletin, vol. 15(13), pages 1-10. (PDF)
Alex Coad, 2009. "The Growth of Firms: a Survey of Theories and Empirical Evidence" Edward Elgar, Cheltenham, UK and Northampton, MA, USA
"Empirical investigations into the characteristics and determinants of the growth of firms" (PDF)
Selected Working Papers
- Martin Binder & Alex Coad, 2010. "Going Beyond Average Joe's Happiness: Using Quantile Regressions to Analyze the Full Subjective Well-Being Distribution", Papers on Economics and Evolution 2010-10, Max Planck Institute of Economics, Evolutionary Economics Group. (PDF)
- Alex Coad, Agusti Segarra-Blasco, Mercedes Teruel-Carrizosa, 2010. "Like milk or wine: does firm performance improve with age?", Papers on Economics and Evolution 2010-06, Max Planck Institute of Economics, Evolutionary Economics Group. (PDF)
- Alessio Moneta, Doris Entner, Patrik Hoyer, Alex Coad, 2010. "Causal inference from Independent Component Analysis with applications to micro and macro-economic data", Jena Economic Research Papers in Economics 2010-031, Friedrich-Schiller-University Jena. (PDF)
- Alex Coad and Werner Hölzl, 2010. "Firm growth: empirical analysis", #10-02 Papers on Economics and Evolution, Max Planck Institute of Economics, Jena. (PDF)
Draft prepared for "Handbook on the Economics and Theory of the Firm", Michael Dietrich and Jackie Krafft (eds), Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Alexander Coad & Jagannadha Pawan Tamvada, 2008. "The Growth and Decline of Small firms In Developing Countries", Papers on Economics and Evolution 2008-08, Max Planck Institute of Economics. (PDF) (Second round revise and resubmit from "Small Business Economics")
- Alex Coad, 2008. "Firms as bundles of discrete resources - towards an explanation of the exponential distribution of firm growth rates", Documents de travail du Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne r08055, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1), Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne. (PDF)
- Alexander Coad, 2008. "Distance to Frontier and Appropriate Business Strategy", Papers on Economics and Evolution 2008-07, Max Planck Institute of Economics, Evolutionary Economics Group. (PDF) (Revise and resubmit from "Industrial and Corporate Change")
- Alex Coad & Tom Broekel, 2007. "Firm Growth and Productivity Growth: Evidence from a Panel VAR", Jena Economic Research Papers 2007-103, Friedrich-Schiller-University Jena. (PDF) (revise and resubmit from 'Applied Economics')
- Alex Coad & Rekha Rao, 2007. "The Employment Effects of Innovations in High-Tech Industries", #0705 Papers on Economics and Evolution, Max Planck Institute of Economics, Jena. (PDF) (2nd round revise and resubmit from Journal of Evolutionary Economics)
"Understanding firm growth", 2010 Ratio Colloquium for Young Social Scientists, Stockholm, August 12-14 2010
Prizes and awards
DRUID 25th Summer conference 2008 (Copenhagen, Denmark): "Distance to frontier and appropriate business strategy" nominated for "DRUID best paper award".
Schumpeter Society Conference 2010 (Aalborg, Denmark): winner of the "Best Junior Paper Award" for the paper "Investigating the exponential age distribution of firms"
Eastern Economic Journal, Economics of Innovation and New Technology, Economy and Society, Empirical Economics, ESRC (Economic and Social Research Council), Evolutionary and Institutional Economics Review, Industrial and Corporate Change (5), International Economic Journal, Journal of Business Research, Journal of Economic Geography, Journal of Evolutionary Economics, Journal of Industry Competition and Trade (2), Netnomics, Research Policy (3), Review of Economics and Statistics, Review of Industrial Organization, Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Small Business Economics (3), Southern Economic Journal, Structural Change and Economic Dynamics